- In the past few years there were 2 millages passed. Sinking Fund which was 4 mils and School Operating Millage for 18 mils. *
- Hamtramck Schools Had a Surplus of $11,491,931 (over 11 million) dollars and they want to build new schools and do upgrades both costing near $35,000,000 (35 million) dollars. *
- Spending per student in Hamtramck vs. Dearborn and Warren (Both cities residents move to for a better education):
In Hamtramck: $13,720.87
In Dearborn: $13,697.83
In Warren: $13,181.90
The issue here is not a money issue. We can keep pouring money into the school system, but the results will remain the same.
The issue is the same issue causing the ongoing protests in this country. You can pour as much money as you want into the buildings and upgrades, but the main cause will not be addressed.
School board should pull this failing proposal from the ballot and work together with the community to draw up a working plan that will address the underlying problems and help solve Hamtramck’s education problems once and forever. *
- Hanley International Academy spending per student:
Two of the highest achieving schools in the city, which is more in line with the state’s per student spending of: $10,048.72
Take into consideration that Hanley built a brand new school with these funds without the need to burden the residents with a 30 yrs millage.
- The city millage is to pay for the costs associated with retried police and fire pensions. $44,000,000 (44 Million) dollars.